by Leanne Milech
Our mission at Mooney on Theatre is to make theatre more accessible, which is just one of the reasons we are over-the-moon excited about this weekly post: we get giddy helping people find their way to local Toronto theatre, especially when it’s high quality entertainment on a budget! This week, we’ve uncovered a secret code that gives you a cost-efficient edge on theatre-going, two pay-what-you-can laugh-ins, an edgy, experimental theatre festival and a poetry play, all for twenty dollars or less.
– The Alumnae Theatre Company has been running this experimental theatre festival of short works since 1989, and it just keeps getting better. Tomorrow marks the first day of the three-week festival, and Week One is sure to be dynamite, with five short plays revealed in just 2 hours and fifteen minutes. The best part? Tickets are only $15 a pop!
– Shows begin tomorrow (March 10) and run until March 27, Tuesday to Saturday at 8 pm, with a 2:30 matinee on Saturday only. There is also a special staged reading of a work on Saturdays at noon that is PWYC!
– See it at the Alumnae Theatre (70 Berkeley). Reserve tickets by phoning 416-364-4170 (Box 1) or by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Just remember that it’s cash only at the box office!
2) My Mother’s Lesbian Jewish Wiccan Wedding (MMLJWW)
– We love this show! See our three rave reviews here (July 2009), here (Winter 2009) and here (2010). It’s no surprise that we loved this knee-slappingly funny show about love, political liberties and the sacred relationship between mother and son.
– Tomorrow, March 10, you too can slap your own knees and see MMLJWW at the Panasonic Theatre at 8 pm for only $10. If you’re getting your tickets online, just enter the code WEDFAN, hit the “Submit Code” button and the promotional price will show up. Then you can choose how many tickets you want!
– Just beware that this secret code won’t work on previously purchased tickets, the $10 ticket option is subject to availability and service charges and conditions apply.
– Buy your ticket online here.
– This intriguing show illustrates one man’s extraordinary struggle after he chooses to delay his marriage for five years. A poetry play that’ll make you think for only $15 (make that $10 if you’re a senior or a student).
– See it at the Helen Gardiner Phelan Playhouse (79A St. George) until March 13, Tues- Sat. at 8 pm.
– Call 416-978-8849 or visit uofttix.ca to get your tickets.
4) Sketch Comedy Lounge presents Showgame!
– Tonight at 9, like every Tuesday night at the Rivoli (332-334 Queen West), The Sketch COMedy Lounge takes over, and resident sketch artists take to the stage. This lounge is affiliated with the ever-popular ALTdot COMedy Lounge, which has gotten tons of awesome press.
– The best part? Admission is PWYC, and no reservations are required!
5) West End Girls
– You know how funny Mo’Nique is (except in Precious, of course!). You know how hilarious Ellen is. And you must remember the genius of classic comedienne Lucille Ball. Well, this Thursday, March 11, get to know Toronto’s own funny girls when West End Girls puts on a night of all-female stand-up comedy.
– The show starts at 8 pm, and it’s priced reasonably as a pwyc night of entertainment.
– This giggle-fest takes place at Poor John’s Café (1610 Queen West).