By Leanne Milech
Five for Twenty (Or Less)
The theme for the week of June 6, 2010 is “a little bit of this, and a little bit of that”. We’ve selected a hint of sketch comedy, a musical spoof put on by Queen’s alumni, a set of short, inspiring plays, awesome outdoor Shakespeare and electrifying dance. All for $20 or less!
1) InspiraTO Festival (Dominik Loncar). The annual festival of 10-minute plays presents works by Vern Thiessen, Crystal Wood, Kate Fenton and others. Opens Jun 3 and runs to Jun 12, Thu-Sat 8 pm (see website for additional performances). $10-$15. Alumnae Theatre, 70 Berkeley. inspiratofestival.ca.
2) Night/The Two Noble Kinsmen by William Shakespeare/WS and John Fletcher (Urban Bard). The comedies are performed outdoors on alternating nights. Opens May 28 and runs to Jun 20, see website for schedule. Pwyc. College Park Courtyard, 444 Yonge, south side facing Gerrard. urbanbard.ca.
3) Mad Glee by Basil Douglas Cowieson, Lyranda Martin-Evans and Rica Eckersley (Queen’s Players Toronto). A high-school glee club must raise money to stave off condo developers. Previews Jun 9 at 8:30 pm. Opens Jun 10 and runs to Jun 19, Thu-Sat 8:30 pm. $20, preview $12. Tranzac, 292 Brunswick. queensplayerstoronto.com.
4) SketchComedyLounge (Rivoli). presents the Newsdesk with Ron Sparks, the Imponderables, the Doo Wops, MC Andrew Johnston and others. Jun 8 9 pm. Pwyc. 332 Queen W. sketchcomedylounge.com.
5) Alert! Electric Popsicle Field NewFoundDance presents choreography by Robyn Breen, Mariéve Aubé, Hannah Etlin-Stein and Stéfanie Théroux. Jun 12-13 at 8 pm. $12, stu $10. Dancemakers Centre for Creation, 55 Mill, bldg 58, studio 313. 416-805-7850.