From Press Release:
This comedic drama follows Samson and Birdie Gentle as they grow up forging a complicated relationship with their confounding father. Inspired by questions of family and masculinity, this is the first original theatrical piece by Sock Monkey, a creative collaboration between Marc Blanchard and Scott Kuipers.
Over the course of eight months and over three hundred cups of coffee, Marc and Scott met, spoke, debated, and have refined something very personal to themselves. They’ve used a variety of tools to develop this story, from character mask and improvisation to live reading workshops, and the process could carry on forever. But they have arrived at a story fantastical and simple, silly and sad, about brothers, fathers, family, and time. Share three brief scenes featuring the Brothers Gentle, Samson and Birdie, as they navigate their lives with an emotionally turbulent father.
Anthony Perpuse, from Fringe hits Rowing and Madeliene Says Sorry, directs. Marc Blanchard, winner of the Ottawa Little Theatre’s National one act playwriting contest, co writes and stars. Scott Kuipers, featured with the Festival Players of Prince Edward County, Dave Carely and the Main Street Theatre Collective, co writes and stars.
Equal parts absurd, sweet, sad, and silly, The Brothers Gentle asks, “How do I look my father in the eyes?”
- The Brothers Gentle plays at the Theatre Passe Muraille Backspace. (16 Ryerson Ave.)
- Tickets are $13, including a $2 service charge. The festival also offers a range of money-saving passes and discounts for serious Fringers.
- Tickets can be purchased online, by telephone (416-966-1062), from the Festival Box Office at Scadding Court (707 Dundas St. W.), and — if any remain — from the venue’s box office starting one hour before curtain.
- Content Warnings: Mature language; Sexual content; Nudity.
- This venue is wheelchair-accessible. Accessible seating is in the front row.
- Be aware that Fringe performances always start exactly on time, and that latecomers are never admitted.
Thursday July 5th, 9:30 pm
Saturday July 7th, 5:00 pm
Monday July 9th, 2:15 pm
Tuesday July 10th, 8:30 pm
Thursday July 12th, 6:15 pm
Friday July 13th, 10:30 pm
Saturday July 14th, 4:30 pm
Sunday July 15th, 5:45 pm